OneTouch glucose meter USB interface cable

Started by ramack, Jan 16, 2005, 21:38

Previous topic - Next topic

ramack

Hi,

I'm looking for pinouts/info for a USB interface cable for a LifeScan OneTouch Ultra glucose meter.

I know what the pinout is for the 3.5mm stereo plug.  However I don't know if there is any additional circuitry in the cable.

Surely it's not as simple as terminating the cable with a stereo plug on one end and a USB connector on the other?

Rich

Kevin

what is the pin out for the stereo plug to the 9 pin com conection?

Anonymous

The connector tip is Rx
the middle connector band is Tx
and the shank is ground.

Rich

ramack

Here's a link to a cable circuit that has a 3.5mm on one end, D25 or D9 on the other.

http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Lifescan/otcable.html

I'm wanting to replace the D connector with a USB.

Rich

Kevin

Thanks for the schematic I will give it a try

Anonymous

Quote from: "Kevin"Thanks for the schematic I will give it a try

I'm interested to know if it worked.  Every store that sells this cable wants $29.99 plus shipping. A little high I might add.

Thanks

Does anyone have a schematics for the USB version?

timomer

Kevin, would be really interested if you got this working. Please let us know!

Mike

The cable for USB would contain a chip that is programmed specifically for the driver you need to install from Lifestyle to make it work, the Serial version would not need anything special and could be made very easily, of course if you alptop does not have a Serial port then you will need to spring for a USB to serial adapter OR the lifestyle cable HTH

Can anyone tell me what serial 9 pin d-shell connector pin numbers should should connect to the tip, middle connector and shank for the serial cable?
 I bought an original 25 pin d-shell one years ago from Lifescan, but have misplaced it.  I would rather build my own replacement rather than shell out the $29+ usual asking price for another cable.

Actually, the serial cable for some of the Onetouch meters have a line-driver chip in the D-connector to translate the voltage levels. This is because the meter runs on 3 volts. The driver draws power from one of the handshake lines on the host.. (Ithink it is the DLE... no sure) a Max232 is a common line-driver. I had an older OneTouch that used 2 button cells and the cable that worked with it doesn't work on the ultra... no driver chip... I can clear the log memory on the meter, but I cannot read the log.

Mike Southam

I am attempting to make the same cable, usb to 3.5mm for the OneTouch Meter. There is no additional circuitry. The sleeve is the gnd, the tip is the white wire, and the middle ring is the red ( doesn't sound right to me, but that's how my meter's jack ohms out to the usb end. Mike

joe

Mike - I have made the cable but did not use the same wires as you are describing. I used the white for the tip the green for the ring and the black for the ground or shell.
From what I know about the USB cable standard, the red is +5Vdc. I don't know if the cable needs the red because my cable is recognized by my computer, but complains that the device has malfunctioned. Have you had any success? Thanks Joe

ChurchillK

Quote from: Mike Southam on Jan 21, 2008, 03:36
I am attempting to make the same cable, usb to 3.5mm for the OneTouch Meter. There is no additional circuitry. The sleeve is the gnd, the tip is the white wire, and the middle ring is the red ( doesn't sound right to me, but that's how my meter's jack ohms out to the usb end. Mike
Mike,

I have a OneTouch ultraMini glucose meter.  Documentation
indicates it works with either 9-Pin or USB cables.

I purchased software which came with a 9-Pin cable to
connect it to my notebook.  ( Actually 2 notebooks: XP SP2
and Vista SP1.  Same results with each. )

I have a USB-Serial ( 9-Pin ) adapter. 

Other serial software works with this adapter.  The
OneTouch software does not: It does not see the
OneTouch meter.

Is this more likely a bad 9-Pin cable from
the manufacturer or something unique about the USB cable?

-- Karl

anonymous

hello re: onetouch meter cable
i have a serial com 1 port on my computer and wonder what the wiring diagram would be for the com port  (male rs232 ?) to the stereo mini plug?