IPOD Classic 160 TV out not working.

Started by uriahsky, Sep 18, 2007, 22:45

Previous topic - Next topic

uriahsky

The new IPOD Classic 160 won't let you choose the TV out function unless it is plugged into the new, not yet released dock.  Most older docks and accessories don't work.  I have a Sonic Impact V-55 that I just bought which doesn't work.  Does anyone know which pins are involved in the lock out of the TV out function?  Is there a new 33 pin, pin out somewhere that shows the pins involved, or is it the same 33 pin, pin out that is on this website?  and if so what might need to be done to enable the TV out.  It seems Apple found out that when people hooked there Ipod up to the TV using the dock or AV Cable into the headphones, the battery drained rather quickly unless it was also hooked up to a charger.  So the new dock has a charger built into it and it won't allow you to choose TV out, ask, on, unless this new dock, (Or certain older ones) are connected to it.  Is there a hardware hack around this so I can use my V-55? 

Thanks
Uriah

Randy

iPod has disabled the TV out with any connection device that does not contain one of their ID chips.  I've spoken with Apple tech support on the issue and was basically told "tough luck."

Randy

update on my previous post:

I've just finished talking to Apple support again.  Apparently they really don't care that several million dollars of hardware isn't compatible with the new iPods, despite the fact that the only real difference between them and the hardware that works is an authorization chip in the new hardware, and there are no plans for that to be fixed anytime in the near future.  Their reason behind that is that they wanted to reduce the number of tech support calls from people trying to figure out how to turn the video out on or having video quality issues.  Draw your own conclusions, but I'm thinking this isn't going to be a good thing for them from a PR perspective.

Claude

Go to the Apple web site and download the new patch from apple. I have a classic 80g had the same problem were I could not switch TV mode to on in settings. After the download it now works.
Good luck

BEN

hi cluade could you plz post a link to the download page of the updATE THANKS.

Madlaine

Quote from: Claude on Oct 06, 2007, 21:02
Go to the Apple web site and download the new patch from apple. I have a classic 80g had the same problem were I could not switch TV mode to on in settings. After the download it now works.
Good luck

can someone please post the link to that patch on apple website? i also have an classic 80gb and cannot change the setting of tv out. thanks

nautilus_3

Just plug your iPod into iTunes. It will tell you that there is new Firmware available "1.0.2" i think it is. Just let iTunes run the update, the it will work right away. I was shocked!!

Hope that helps..

nautilus_3

ok, a little caveat to my last post..  Now that you are able to select the TV option, it seems that you are still not going to get any output signal unless the iPod detects an "apple brand video connection accessory".  While testing, I noticed that its ready for TV output, but just sits there until you attach the correct cables. I have a Dynex kit, that I got from BestBuy (about $55) the audio/video cable you use in the headphone out jack, doesn't work, nor does the Doc. To bad too, this thing has a cool little remote. Pretty much nothing works.. At least the base sits the iPod upright while charging it, so I can at least watch something while doing something else at the same time..  Any way, Step 2.. We need to get apple to release firmware that will allow us to use any 3rd party accessories.

jonah

could someone please post the pinouts for the classic
if there is a new layout

Jargal

Is possible to buy full contacts ipod connector? some e-store?

Dandab

eeek. i got the same problem. i got the 160 gig ipod and the v55 sonic impact also.  my sonic impact just came in today and i tried my ipod on it and it failed to output video but audio does work. 

I did some research and found out that there is no way to get this work unless you buy the composite av cable from Apple (Super Bulky and about $50).  There is no other way.  apple has put lockout chips so that only connectors from apple can communicate with the ipod, in this case the video output.  I do believe this is a bad move by apple not allowing their customers to use alternative preferences and also makes them look really greedy not letting other companies like belkin to get into their market.  Apple is slowly closing the doors. 

Also I'm very mad because this video player is awesome, with a 7 inch screen and a dock to stick you ipod in, and I only bought it for 35-40 bucks!  Now in order to get the video to work with my ipod, i have to buy a $50 bulky cable that which will prevent me from being able to put my ipod in the dock.  I was so excited about using this video player but now apple has ruined everything :(

Dandab

P.S.  I think what Claude was talking about was just being able to change the setting to out.  There is no new patch that will make this work with any other cable/video product (unless it's from apple).  Even when i turn the TV out setting on it still does not work.  

Michael Swenson

Quote from: Randy on Oct 01, 2007, 01:03
iPod has disabled the TV out with any connection device that does not contain one of their ID chips.  I've spoken with Apple tech support on the issue and was basically told "tough luck."

I'm glad to see so many other people had issues with this.  I was completely livid, stunned and more when I found that this was the actual problem and not my equipment.  I love the iPod!  I use it for everything!  I have become addicted to downloading videos and t.v. shows, etc.  However, I don't have the money to be throwing around on a regular basis.  I sold my older iPod for a newer version and what do I find?  The Apple Corporation was screwing me over for more money.  I refused to pay.  I called in to corporate customer relations and filed a complaint.  I followed up that call with several more.  I sent in feedback on the Apple website 20 different times with quotes off of message boards not unlike this one.  I wrote a personal letter and mailed it.  After all that, they still had no idea what I was complaining about.  Finally, I said this was an ethics issue and asked for someone higher up on the corporate chain.  I demanded a free dock and cable with all the patience and zen I could gather.  They agreed upon this after mentioning they have had this issue surface before.  So, I urge everyone to bother the f@*&$ out of Apple and demand compensation for their unethical practices.  Be patient, vigilant, courteous, specific, or just raise hell.  The more people in bigger numbers fight back, the more lawsuits or doormats are a part of history.

Saad

Hi guys...i just got 1 question...do u need a dock for TV out (ipod Classic 160GB)??? Or can u just use the new AV cables??
Thanks