Do electrons flow from the cathode to the anode in an LED?

Started by MaxieGodde, Mar 14, 2012, 07:32

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxieGodde

Is it safe to say the electrons go into the cathode leg of an LED then through the semi conductor material and out through the anode?

I am just a little confused because I have read that current flows from the anode to the cathode but I think the word current just means the 'lack of electrons' or the 'holes' flow from the anode to the cathode. This seems a bit strange to me since the atoms with missing electrons are not actually moving, ever. Could someone be so kind as to shed some light on this for me?

tim smith

electrons are negatively charged and flow or are attracted by positive charges.
conventional current flow was positive to negative in the old days because we got it wrong.
the outer shell of an atom with 8 electrons is almost a non conductor like neon but applying a high voltage can strip electrons away.
true electrons do not disappear so if they leave a hole it is filled by an electron in the same material which is borrowed from its neighbour until the last gap which is filled via the return path.
a complete circuit is required to provide current flow. electrons do not disappear.