Help pse. PCI modem starts my computer at power interrupt

Started by colinmoore, Feb 26, 2006, 16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

colinmoore

Can anyone please help with this problem. I have a straightforward desktop PC with dial-up modem in PCI slot. Original modem was a connexant and worked fine until it became tempramental in dialling certain numbers. So I replaced it with an Intel 536. The dial-up problems all went away, buyt with the Intel modem installed the PC starts up every time its mains supply is interrupted.Yet I have another near identical Pc (same motherboard, Intel 536 modem) which does not display this problem. Have tried a brand new Intel 536, but problem remains. Annoying!

Is there a pin on the PCI slot which enables a PCI peripheral device, such as my modem, to make the computer power supply come alive if the mains supply is interrupted?? Maybe I could try isolating that pin.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions if anyone can make time to talk to me.

Pse. e-mail colinmoore@bwlchygroes.freeserve.co.uk

Thank you in anticipation!

Guest(ALex36987)

Some modems can actually turn on a PC if in the BIOS the option "Wake up on RING" is selected. But this happens only when a RING signal is detected on the PHONE line. Maybe (but I am not sure of this) the IC that measures phone line voltage to know if there is a ring simply turns the PC on if power supply is unstable, making an erroneous measure because there is not enough power.

Make sure that option is unchecked in the BIOS, and your problem will probably solve. To enter BIOS start pressing and releasing DEL as soon as your monitor displays the first picture, and releare it only when you are in the BIOS screen.

Since there are many different BIOSes around the world, you need to check your BIOS manufacturer's website to exactly know where to look for.

Anonymous

Quote from: Guest(ALex36987)Some modems can actually turn on a PC if in the BIOS the option "Wake up on RING" is selected. But this happens only when a RING signal is detected on the PHONE line. Maybe (but I am not sure of this) the IC that measures phone line voltage to know if there is a ring simply turns the PC on if power supply is unstable, making an erroneous measure because there is not enough power.

Make sure that option is unchecked in the BIOS, and your problem will probably solve. To enter BIOS start pressing and releasing DEL as soon as your monitor displays the first picture, and releare it only when you are in the BIOS screen.

Since there are many different BIOSes around the world, you need to check your BIOS manufacturer's website to exactly know where to look for.

FM. Colin Moore,

Alex36987, thank you for taking time to write your reply. I have already eliminated the bios possibility. Fact is that with a conexant modem fitted system is ok but with the intel it starts up whenever there is a power interrupt.

Am not quite sure how these sites work, and am about to go away for a few days, so will check the site when I get back and give you more info. about the problem.

Again, thank you for your kind reply.

Colin[/u][/i][/b]

melcy

i doubt its wake on ring. if it starts again automatically, its a similar setting, but for power failure. something like power recovery setting, should be remain off, turn on, or last state. obviously you want to remain off.