USB 3.0 Shorting-out

Started by Synaux, Aug 01, 2012, 23:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Synaux

Hi everyone,

My question is twofold:
1) Can I use a USB 2.0 and solder its only four pins to quicky retrieve my data then smash this USB 3.0 flash drive with a hammer (or perhaps RMA).

2) Either way, anyone have any good suggestions for sources for buying USB 3.0 ports (maybe I can get lucky and solder those tiny contacts).

Background Story Stuff:
I have a Corsair Voyager USB 3.0 32gb flash drive that is shorting out in the usb port itself. Thiis drive is very important to me as I will be loosing my latest thesis draft along with a good deal of research (yes, yes, I know I should have made backups....and data recovery is mostly likely outside my current finances)

I have tried reheating the solder contacts from the usb port to the circuitry with a soldering iron, but it did not seem to help.

Upon testing the port for continuity along each pin (a difficult thing to do with my bulky tester-contacts) there seems so be some broken/damaged pins inside the port itself (which does seem weird to me). So I have concluded that the port needs to be replaced.
Also, the drive is non-responsive with M$ Windows and various diagnostic programs and will be 'half-responsive' when manually held in certain positions; however, at this point, only recognition occurres--no data present, format allowed, etc).

Thanks a bunch!

Nic

What you could try to do is find a USB 3.0 header and solder that to your flash drive. That'd probably be the easiest way to do it.

And by header, I mean the shiny silver thing on the drive.

vtoolshop0001

You may need to try more again  ;D