APC Back-UPS ES USB 650VA

Started by aradian, Jan 06, 2008, 22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

aradian

Hello,

I have an APC Back-UPS ES USB 650VA, but I do not have the RJ-45 to USB cable that is required to connect it to a computer. Could someone who has one of these test their cable? I have been playing around with a multimeter on a standard Cat5 cable connected to it, but haven't found out anything. Does anyone know what characteristics the correct pins would have (voltage, resistance, etc)?

--edit--
Oops... It seems that this is actually an RJ-50 like the one mentioned here (http://pinouts.ru/DevicesCables/apc_usb_cable_pinout.shtml). It also looks like it will be impossible to connect with an RJ-45.

admin

I've added some APC pinouts, and according to those pinouts it's possible to connect RJ-45 into this socket.

AzWiz

Sorry for tacking onto such an old thread, but I just found your site (where have you been all my IT life?). 
I don't see how this RJ45 pinout would work in this scenario as pins 1 & 10 would be missing and according to your diagram that corresponds to USB +5v and USB Data +, so those would not be connected.  In checking a couple of other diagrams, an RJ45 can be used to fabricate a simple RS232 connection with "pin" control.